Tuesday, September 20, 2011

After the "Be Still" is over

I think I have this "Be still" stuff down.  I have, for the most part, figured out how to rest in knowing that God is in control.  TRUE,  (in all caps, for emphasis) I don't succeed in this everyday.  You just have to look at my last post to know that.  But I have figured out in the last seven months how to just live in the moment, not obsess about the things I can't change, and pray for peace and knowledge from God to find me somewhere along the way.  

I would say, I am passing this test with, oh maybe, like, an 87%.  That's a "B".  I want an "A".  So, I keep realigning myself when my views get out of whack.  I keep refocusing my eyes on God, remembering to live in the now.  I keep reminding myself that right now is just as important as tomorrow.  A friend told me to remember that the true test in life is, being fully present in the present.  He's a punk but I think he's got this part right.  If I am a true believer in who God is, what He does and the plans He has for me, then my job is to align myself with him and be present in the 'right now', because that is where He put me.  My future is in His hands, I offered that back to Him when I chose to follow Him.  My focus has thus been:

BE STILL
BE HERE
BE LISTENING


There will come a point in time when I am no longer called to 'be still'.  There will be a defining moments when God calls me to ACT.  So, the question comes, How do you know when God is talking to you?  How do you know, right now, at this moment, TO ACT?  

How do you know it is time for:

MOVEMENT

COURAGE

NO FEAR

GIVING IT ALL YOU'VE GOT

NOT LOOKING BACK

DOING IT. . .


 NOW!

I'm not smart enough to answer this with some elaborate, philosophical answer.  I'm just little, 'ol me searching for answers.  Not to mention I am doing so OUT LOUD in front of all you that read this.  I'll tell you what I think, but if you have some insight into this tough question, well, that's what the comment section is for, PLEASE USE IT! I'd appreciate it!

Here are the things I focus on:

Joshua 1:9
This is my command - Be strong and Courageous! 
Do not be afraid or discouraged.  The Lord your God is with you wherever you go.


Fear and discouragement have no place in my thoughts, GOD IS WITH ME!


Psalms 40:1-3
I waited and waited and waited for God.  At last He looked; finally he listened.
He lifted me out of a ditch,
Pulled me from deep mud.
He stood me up on a solid rock to  make sure I wouldn't slip.
He taught me how to sing the latest God-song, a praise-song to our God.
more and more people are seeing this:
they enter the mystery, abandoning themselves to God. 


There will be times of quietness, times of waiting and feelings of being deserted, but God will always lift you out of that.  He will rescue me from this desert.


This one is my favorite, but I really like they way The Message has translated it.


Romans 8:29-30
God knew what e was doing from the very beginning.  He decided from the outset to shape the lives of those who love him along the same lines as the life of his Son.  The Son stands first in the line of humanity he restored.  We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in him.  After God made that decision of what his children should be like,  he followed it up by calling people by name.  After he called them by name he set them on a solid basis with himself.  And then, after getting them established, he stayed with them to the end, gloriously completing what he had begun.


I have to daily remind myself, God knew what he was doing from the very beginning.  He will establish a clear path for me and he will walk it beside me to help me complete what he has begun.


If I'm focused on him, living in this moment and being quiet long enough to hear him, I believe he will make his plans known to me.  I will know, in my heart, in my gut, whatever, when it is time to act and time to no longer 'be still'.  


Praying for that knowledge.


Sha-la-la-la-la-la, live for today
Sha-la-la-la-la-la, live for today
And don't worry 'bout tomorrow, hey, hey, hey
Sha-la-la-la-la-la, live for today
Live for today



Really though, this song comes to mind as I think and ponder this a little more:




I've heard these stories all my life
Every Sunday morning
I met Jesus at the feltboard
I've heard these stories so many times
Of how and why You died
And how I can live
But You said all sins can be forgiven
But when You said that did You mean me?
Did You mean me?

You said that we could be more like You
But did you know what I'd do
How I'd fall so short?
And You said confession leads to healing
Do you see I'm here and kneeling
And I'm still not well
But You said that faith can move a mountain
But when You said that did You mean me?
Did You mean me
When You said we were made in Your image?
'Cause I don't see much of You in this reflection
Did you mean me
When you said we would do even greater things?
'Cause I don't see anything that I have to offer You
Did You mean me?

You said that You would never leave us
But when You said that
Did you mean me?
Please don't leave me
Did you mean me?



What do you cling to when searching for that voice of God to move you?




      



1 comment: